Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 2: LONG

Edward Hopper, Eleven AM, 1926

 

















The new word:  LONG

A good night, last night, although we went a tad late, and everyone was feeling the weight of Week 2 in the Berkeley semester. After seeing your projects for TOUCH, I suggested a double word. Let me revise that. The word to work from is LONG. The notion of OPEN should apply to everything we do. How's that for a clarification?

Welcome to Suok (good comments, bright smile) and to Jorge (look forward to your drawings). Cat and Katia, too. And glad to see the rest of you again--and to learn a little more about each one of you (through your own introductions, and your first projects.) You'll see soon enough, as the course develops, that each person's work becomes a kind of touchstone--one project influencing/reflecting the others... That's a good way to think about work. And remember the notion of letting the work develop "of its own volition"--that is, where the discovery of what you make happens in the making... 

Also: Do be shooting a photo record of your projects each week. We'll discuss this next time. 

And a poem by Theodore Roethke (American, 1908-1963). I'm sending it because of how he writes as well as the subject. Note that I don't intend it to relate to LONG in any direct way. So read it independently--as something to reflect on--and as a beautiful  encouragement...


The Waking
Theodore Roethke 
 

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.   
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?   
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?   
God bless the Ground!   I shall walk softly there,   
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?   
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do   
To you and me; so take the lively air,   
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.   
What falls away is always. And is near.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I learn by going where I have to go.
 
Theodore Roethke, “The Waking” from Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke. Copyright 1953 by Theodore Roethke. Reprinted with the permission of Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment