Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Week 4: MEND

R.B.Kitaj

























Last night's class--another good evening. Many of you are doing ambitious work. A couple need to push harder. Remember our various discussions of materiality. And Christina's question--about the "defamiliarization" of the representational image in order to be able to see it again as form... And whether there's ever a form without some kind of representational implication... Leonardo spoke of looking at the shapes in plaster walls--seeing their possible meanings. It's easy to do this with maps as well--the shapes of countries for example (an abstract concept to be sure, especially since an overview at that scale is never available to us). Siberia and Alaska (this was my own childhood image, from a map my father had framed and mounted on the wall above our beds)--a goat leaning forward to kiss a moose...

But seen the other way, take any seemingly familiar representational image--squint at it, or turn it upside down--and suddenly you've returned it to the world of form. In other words, we work from both approaches--as in R.B. Kitaj's charcoal drawing from about 1980, below. A good place to be... 
______

The new word: MEND

Which has a very physical component--but relates to the word heal--which in turn is related to the idea of making whole... Whenever and wherever possible. But why is this so? Relationship between fragment and whole. What makes a work complete? How do we get it there?

Pierre Renoir film (1915):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK12sFDOU54
________

 

The Day Lady Died

Frank O'Hara


It is 12:20 in New York a Friday
three days after Bastille day, yes
it is 1959 and I go get a shoeshine
because I will get off the 4:19 in Easthampton   
at 7:15 and then go straight to dinner
and I don’t know the people who will feed me

I walk up the muggy street beginning to sun   
and have a hamburger and a malted and buy
an ugly NEW WORLD WRITING to see what the poets   
in Ghana are doing these days
                                           I go on to the bank
and Miss Stillwagon (first name Linda I once heard)   
doesn’t even look up my balance for once in her life   
and in the GOLDEN GRIFFIN I get a little Verlaine   
for Patsy with drawings by Bonnard although I do   
think of Hesiod, trans. Richmond Lattimore or   
Brendan Behan’s new play or Le Balcon or Les Nègres
of Genet, but I don’t, I stick with Verlaine
after practically going to sleep with quandariness

and for Mike I just stroll into the PARK LANE
Liquor Store and ask for a bottle of Strega and   
then I go back where I came from to 6th Avenue   
and the tobacconist in the Ziegfeld Theatre and   
casually ask for a carton of Gauloises and a carton
of Picayunes, and a NEW YORK POST with her face on it

and I am sweating a lot by now and thinking of
leaning on the john door in the 5 SPOT
while she whispered a song along the keyboard
to Mal Waldron and everyone and I stopped breathing


Frank O’Hara, “The Day Lady Died” from Lunch Poems. Copyright © 1964 by Frank O’Hara. 
Reprinted with the permission of City Lights Books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment