Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Week 5: ANCHOR

Richard Diebenkorn



























Good gathering last night--I pushed you a bit in terms of letting the work open. It's that time in the semester when we know each other well enough--each new piece becoming part of a family. That said, it was a pleasure to look at the things you've been making--the experiments and variety are good, and everyone's into the projects. What more could we ask?

Thanks to Katia again for setting up the blog site and inviting everyone. Take a look at her first post--and add your own. It will make a good record--and I like (in particular) the shared aspect of the endeavor...

Here's the link: http://vs280.blogspot.com/

_____
 
The new word: ANCHOR

And a poem, with a prose addition, by Yehuda Amichai. It's the second part that pertains.

Tourists by Yehuda Amichai
Visits of condolence is all we get from them.
They squat at the Holocaust Memorial,
They put on grave faces at the Wailing Wall
And they laugh behind heavy curtains
In their hotels.
They have their pictures taken
Together with our famous dead
At Rachel's Tomb and Herzl's Tomb
And on Ammunition Hill.
They weep over our sweet boys
And lust after our tough girls
And hang up their underwear
To dry quickly
In cool, blue bathrooms.


Once I sat on the steps by a gate at David's Tower,
I placed my two heavy baskets at my side. A group of tourists
was standing around their guide and I became their target marker. "You see
that man with the baskets? Just right of his head there's an arch
from the Roman period. Just right of his head." "But he's moving, he's moving!"
I said to myself: redemption will come only if their guide tells them,
"You see that arch from the Roman period? It's not important: but next to it,
left and down a bit, there sits a man who's bought fruit and vegetables for his family."

No comments:

Post a Comment